Saturday, February 7, 2009

Celebrating Life: Iain Crichton Smith, "Early Spring"

And, to celebrate life this winter weekend, a poem by one of my favorite recent Scottish writers, Iain Crichton Smith, from the Scotsman website last week (http://news.scotsman.com/entertainment/Poem-of-the-Week-Iain.4929233.jp). Entitled "Early Spring," it brings tears to my eyes as I read it:

The crocuses are out in January

in their green and purple

and I have seen the gorse as well.

The seasons do not know themselves,

they are delirious with promise.

They stay awake with excitement instead of sleeping

as I did in my first job

when I was bringing learning to the young.

See, even the clouds are a different colour

they too are purple

they too have this early freshness.

Last night I was reading of an old man

who scouring among graves would find coffin wood

from which he would make violins.