Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Playing the Race Card: McCain Campaign and the Ashley Todd Story

And a quick addendum to the lengthy post I just made, re: the Colorado Catholic church and its ties to the Republican party.

For those pursuing the other information trails I sketched on Sunday, Huffington Post yesterday carried valuable commentary by Marty Kaplan about clues pointing to the McCain campaign's active involvement in promoting the now-debunked Ashley Todd story before that story had been verified. In his “Move Over, Willie Horton,” Kaplan pursues the involvement of McCain's Pennsylvania communications director Peter Feldman with pushing this story (www.huffingtonpost.com/marty-kaplan/move-over-willie-horton_b_138196.html).

Money quotes:

I don't know Peter Feldman, and the only mayhem he's suspected of is metaphorical, and the drip, drip, drip of evidence against him is coming out in the court of public opinion, not in a court of law. I realize that politics ain't beanbag, and I'm familiar with the riptides and undertows that can seize anyone working in a presidential campaign, especially an apparently losing one, in its final days. Still, for the sake of the reputation of Jewish ethics, and even for the sake of the reputation of Republicans, I sure hope he didn't do last week what it kinda sorta looks like he did.

And "…[I]t appears to be Peter Feldman -- not the police -- who told local reporters that her (fictional) big black assailant said to her, 'You're with the McCain campaign? I'm going to teach you a lesson.' Move over, Willie Horton.'